Monday, April 30, 2012

Adventures in Clomid

Ah, Clomid.  Clomid is a prescription medication that stimulates ovulation.  There is a myriad of side effects that range from the tragic (mood swings) to the hilarious (mood swings).  I don't really get much side effect action - though I do typically get a Clomid headache in the first two or three days on the stuff.  Women with PCOS will not always respond to Clomid and it seems that I do not respond tremendously well.  We get one follicle per administration of the maximum dosage (doesn't that seem like a really bad 80's garage glam band?Can't you picture three men with mustaches wearing hazy pink, skin tight jumpsuits with purple glitter bands across their waist and forehead shouting, "We're...Maximum...Dosage!" in poorly trained falsettos?  Hot.) Most blogs that I skim for information often have women presenting two or three follicles in a given attempt.  So my pitiful one is just sort of lame.

We may move to a different medication for the next round.  When there is a next round - who knows, it could work this time!

The title of this post is misleading - there is no real adventure happening in Clomid land.  You have to take the stuff the same time(ish) every night, so I have set an alarm on my phone.  If you have an iPhone, you are aware of the duck quack alarm sound?  I have named the alarm "Fertility Duck" and it quacks every night this week at 8:55 in evening!  Hearing its cheerful little squawk adds some levity to an other wise slightly frustrating, nay, depressing event.

In other news, I got my hair cut.  its a cute angled bob with a heavy fringe in the front.  Its kind of adorable.  And easy to style - I blow it out and just use a straightening iron on the front pieces to keep the curl at bay.  Precious.  You have to do things, I think, to remind yourself that everything is okay.  Like buying a grill spontaneously one Sunday.  Or visiting the Volunteers of America shop that just opened up because OMG I got never-been-used antique escargot dishes, guitar shaped ice cube trays (with guitar neck stirrers) and a sleazy thriller for under five dollars.  It softens the headache.





No comments:

Post a Comment